Saturday, August 1, 2009

Product Review: Natural Mineral Makeup

I've been neglecting my blog but today I decided to rectify that. I thought I'd share my experience trying to find more natural mineral makeup. As you may have read in my last post, I sort of, alright I completely drank the coolaid in regards to going green. I've been checking all my cosmetics on costmeticsdatabase.com just make sure that I'm not using toxic chemicals when I acutally think that I purchase a "natural product". Here's the thing, if it's a great cosmetic, lipstick, whatever... but it doesn't contain any natural ingredients whatsoever, just say so. It's annoying as hell that cosmetics companies will claim that they have all natural ingredients when they throw in 1 thing natural but the rest are harsh chemicals.

Anyway... (as I step off my soap box) Surprisingly enough, Bare minerals (which I've worn for quite some time) is not all natural. I thought I'd try to find something with less fillers and chemical and more natural stuff in general. I read about 2 companies that provide 100% natural and also partial, if not completely, organic ingredients: Glam- Nation and Afterglow.

I first tried Glam Nation. I emailed the company (to their customer service email on their web site) and asked which shade and type of make up would be good for me. I provided my shade of bare minerals and fully expected a response. Well.... I didn't get one.

I ended up ordering some makeup anyway. I was pretty curious to see the coverage of the make up, especially considering they advertise to be "100% pure natural, organic skincare". I selected a shade and moved to the checkout page. For starters, they charge $7.50 for shipping, which is a little steep for just some makeup. I also checked the weight of the make up. It states on their web site that the makeup is .25 oz.

I received the product and it was so small that I literally thought it was a sample. I held it up again the bare minerals container and it looked half the size! I tried it and it did go on well, however during the day my skin felt irritated. I read on their web site that since they're "all natural" or something like that, that while your skin is in detox from such a natural product and that you may experience redness. Uhhh.... Detox for my skin? I didn't buy it.

I moved on to Afterglow. Their customer service people were super nice and friendly. There's a spot on their web page that says if you need help finding the right color that you should email them your current make up and shade and they'll help you out. Within 24 hours, I received
an email from customer service giving me the shade that would be comparable to my current make up as well as other recommendations that would go well with my skin tone.

I received the package and it was comparable in size to bare minerals. It's actually a bit bigger (.35 oz versus bare minerals at .3 oz). The great thing about this makeup is that it doesn't look like you're wearing make up! It's like your skin ... but better! And, I didn't get
any irritation or redness (or detox) from this product.

My one gripe with Afterglow cosmetics is that they sort of melt off your skin as the day goes on. If you love makeup like I do, then you might be more comfortable with something that gives you more coverage.

Next up: Zosimos Cosmetics... stay tuned

No comments: